Review of Diabetic Kitchen’s “Cheesey Bread Muffin Mix”

Diabetic Kitchen makes several products to assist folks with issues related to, usually, type 2 diabetes. This review is targeting its “Cheesey Bread Muffin Mix.”

Nutritionally, this mix contains, for keto purposes, 2g of protein, 3.5g of fat, and 10g of carbs minus 7g of fiber, which means it comes in at 3g of carbs. I can live with those numbers any day.

Its composition includes milled sunflower seeds, prebiotic dietary fiber, low glycemic resistant corn starch, gluten-free oat flour, sea salt, and baking powder. Are these ingredients keto friendly?

While corn starch may not be strictly keto, low glycemic resistant corn starch functions like soluble, fermentable fiber, which is great because it goes through the stomach and small intestine undigested. It then goes into the colon, where it feeds friendly gut bacteria. Whereas most foods feed only 10% of your cells, fermentable fibers feed the other 90%. This, in turn, increases the production of short-chain fatty acids, like butyrate. These acids act as levelers for blood sugar.

Gluten-free oat flour is not strictly keto, either, but it contains fiber and healthy fats, lowers cholesterol levels, and is lower in carbs than most other whole grains (hence the use of rolled oats in heart healthy diets).

When preparing the mix you add in a cup of cheese, eggs, and a small amount of milk (or almond milk), so, if you are allergic to any of these items, this mix is not for you-

My conclusion has to be that this”Cheesey Bread Muffin Mix,” while not strictly keto-friendly, would benefit those struggling with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes and could be easily used in weight loss efforts.

At $13.99 a container it is somewhat pricey, but it makes 24 muffins, which works out to about 58 cents each. It is available on Amazon.  https://amzn.to/2GN4qby

 

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *